[Lab] Alpha-ville Festival Call for Submissions

Michael Lechasseur mlecha at artengine.ca
Mon May 14 11:20:42 EDT 2012

Alpha-ville is the London International Festival of Post-digital
Culture. The festival presents a unique combination of advanced music,
films, design, digital and new media art exhibitions, community events,
urban interventions, workshops, labs and a Symposium on Post-digital
Culture.

The 4th edition will take place in London from 3-7 October 2012.

2012 THEME: 'Unfinity'

We live in a unique moment in history, between two rapidly changing
worlds. One is the world of decaying political and economic structures
and the other is the world of an infinite explosion in technology and
information. There are conflicting mindsets in every part of our
culture: the contradiction between ubiquitous virtual presence and
physical presence creating an identity crisis; the non-hierarchical,
organic web structure clashing with hierarchical, non-organic real-world
structures; the myth of the individual as a genius vs the power of the
crowd and the collaborative practice; the passive and observant attitude
set against active participation and co-creation. These opposing forces
are placing us in a paradoxical state that we have named Unfinity.

Unfinity is a pull between these poles, a hybrid space. It’s timeless
and uncertain. We believe that to ease the state of Unfinity in a human
and meaningful way it is crucial to be creative, to experiment, to
challenge and take action.

Alpha-ville 2012 invites artists, designers, thinkers, digital and
non-digital people to consider, participate in, create and express what
will be the next steps for building an alternative future that, we hope,
will belong to the people.

KEYWORDS
Timeless, Hybrid, Infinity, Code, Data, Body, Physicality, Space, Clould
Culture, Mixed Reality, Augmented Reality, Experimentation, Unfinished,
Future of Art, New Aesthetic, Failure, Prototype, Interactivity,
Democratisation, Activism, Hacktivism, Avatars, 3D Printing, Openweb,
Smart Cities, Sustainability, Internet of Things, Censorship, Privacy,
Identity, Grassroots, Uncertainty, Collaborative Design, DIY, Active
Citizenship...

DEADLINES
Submissions close on Friday 22nd June 2012
Moving Image Submissions will close on Sunday 15th July 2012
http://www.alpha-ville.co.uk/submissions/

Proposals are accepted for the following categories:
Music/Sound
AV Performances
Lab, Hack Event or Meet-up
Moving Image
Public Interventions
New Media Art/Multimedia Projects
Critical: Talks, Panels, Workshops, Presentations, Academic Papers