[Lab] Selling my RepRap 3D Printer. The day has come to part with my creation.

Paul & Andrea Mumby themumbys at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 13:44:44 EDT 2012

Well it's finally happened... I've got a few printers now, and the day has
come to part with my first... My Beloved RepRap.

I've decided to sell it as I'm in love with my new Ultimaker now, and I
can't justify keeping them all lol.

So my first printer, is up for sale to a good home.

It produces quite good quality prints, and still works very well. It's a
RepRap so it does require some fiddling now and then. It's received several
upgrades over the past year or two. And it was originally built from some
very high quality parts.

I spent $1200 - $1300 building it, and have sunk probably another $400 in
upgrades into it over time.

I'm looking to get $500 for it now.

Some key points/features:
- It's running on an updated RAMPS board/Arduino Mega
- It has a 0.35mm nozzle
- Upgraded solid aluminum plate for build platform (which is evenly heated
by 4x power resistors controlled by PID in the firmware to allow automatic
fine control of bed temperature)
-roughly 200mm square by about 150mm high build volume. Higher than that in
the center due to triangular nature of Mendel frame
- Original Sells Mendel design, lots of nice roller bearings and adjustable
constraint (not the cheaper Prusa Mendel design, though not to say that's
inferior really, I just prefer the more "Robust" Sells mendel build)

It has a little bit of backlash, which can be compensated for in software
(or likely removed entirely with professional pulleys and different belts).
And I'm getting very nice 0.2mm layer thickness prints from it. There is a
tiny amount of Z wobble introducing some "ripples" which are extremely
minor (adds some texture to purely vertical surfaces but nothing major) and
this could be compensated by adding some anti-wobble devices to the Z drive
mechanism) plenty available on thingiverse and such).

Here is an album of some prints I've gotten on this printer, these are
older, I've actually improved on this print quality since then:
https://picasaweb.google.com/109396889441388830701/MendelPrints?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Here is an album of my original build of this Mendel:
https://picasaweb.google.com/109396889441388830701/RepRapMendelBuildSummer2010?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Since that build a few things have changed (the electronics have been
upgraded to the newer RAMPS, but still ultimately the same, the build
platform has been replaced with an aluminum heated one, and the electronics
now has a housing that was printed, which adds ducted cooling for the motor
drivers). But that's basically it, otherwise it's the same basic printer
basically.

If you're interested let me know. I'd like to get more than $500
considering how much time and money I've sunk into it, but I'm aware there
are newer improved options on the market for reasonable price these days,
so I'm setting my expectation at $500 to be "realistic". If several parties
are interested at the same time, I'll entertain bidding starting at $500.
But otherwise $500 is that asking price.

I'll be able to arrange delivery, or pickup is an option within Ottawa.
Otherwise I'll ship anywhere in the world, but buyer pays the shipping in
addition to the purchase price. (as it's a fairly bulky/heavy item). If
it's shipped I HIGHLY recommend insurance to protect against damage in
shipping.

I'll be happy to provide help/tips via email and in person at modlab
(if/when I ever free up enough time to make it to a meeting again lol). But
due to the "DIY" nature of the machine, I'm offering no "warranty" so to
speak.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to provide a "live" demo of the
printer (and plenty of people have seen it in action at my talks/workshops
in the past), or if you like I can print a small demo object for you and
post photographs of the print.

Let me know if you're interested! I'm not selling this on ebay/kijiji or
other public classifieds methods because I would rather it go to someone in
the community I'm part of. And it's a niche item, so I'm hoping these lists
will give me a better interest in the item.

Thanks!

- Paul