[Lab] Removing IC

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at tricolour.net
Fri Dec 14 11:23:41 EST 2012

On Fri, Dec 14, 2012 at 10:02:44AM -0500, Bruce wrote:
> Well it appears that I soldered one of my IC chips in to the wrong socket of
> my Arduino motor shield.  I've tried to remove the solder with my plunger, but
> just can't get all the solder to lift. I also tried braid copper no luck.  Is
> there any hope of salvaging this shield?

It depends on the quality of the board.  These are fairly good quality boards,
so they should survive, but as noted, the chip may not.  Both methods suggested
are likely to work.  I assume it was the 595 chip that got soldered in
backwards or in the wrong place since the L293D chips usually have sockets
provided for them since they are more likely to get fried by motor loads.

I thought I had spares of that chip kicking around, but I couldn't find them in
my list...  I have 74164, 74165 and 74299...

I just soldered up my adafruit motor shield last night (the kids were doing
christmas cards and other drawing/colouring/writing projects at the dining room
table and asked me to join them with a soldering project.).

> Bruce Harding

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!