[Lab] laser thought about bed

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Sat Sep 10 11:31:34 EDT 2011

My current plan for my own laser is to make the cutting bed as follows (the
place where the material being cut will rest).

Make the frame from extruded aluminum. Then drill lots of holes along it and
string very fine music wire (perhaps .020"). This will form a grid (perhaps
an inch pitch) on which the material can rest.

Can anybody come up with a reason I should not do it that way? My main
concern is what will happen when the laser strikes the .020 on a regular
basis.

ArtEngine laser has a honeycomb square bed which is very thin metal and is
structural because of the honeycomb structure. My machine will be cutting
mainly balsa which is very light so the structure isn't a concern. I can
always beef up for other jobs.

Thots?