[Lab] So my EL wire board still resets (when using batteries)

Trevyn Watson trevyn at dybydx.ca
Thu Nov 3 23:05:07 EDT 2011

The startup current draw of various components may be dragging down the
battery voltage momentarily. It's a common problem in digital
electronics, solved using what are called decoupling capacitors. They're
connected between the voltage source and ground and provide a small but
fast-responding buffer to smooth out dips, spikes and noise in the power.

If this is the Sparkfun EL sequencer it appears to already have two 0.1
uF and a 10 uF capacitor on the board, but maybe that's not enough - try
a 100 uF capacitor (the pair of holes marked "BATT" might be a good
place to connect it if you're not using them).

If you're not using the Sparkfun board, try a 0.1 or 1 uF ceramic
capacitor and a 100 uF electrolytic capacitor connected between + and
ground as close as possible to the power pins of the microcontroller.