[Lab] first try at cutting aluminum

bentfork at gmail.com bentfork at gmail.com
Sun May 29 11:30:39 EDT 2011

How many flutes in that cutter?  If I recall 3 flutes is standard for
cutting Al as it is a pretty soft material

The rpm / number of flutes and speed are all important.  You probably know
this but here is a simple cheat sheet:

http://www.endmilldiscount.com/end-mill/sc-feed-speed.htm

When messing with aluminium there are two tricks I've learned.
 1) Cutting fluid (oil).  You've got to keep the cutting tool cool.
 2) Compressed air.  Keep the work area as clean as possible with a regular
blast of compressed air.  (This may not work well with 1 in a CNC setup,
i've only done manual mill work)