[Lab] Toronto Maker Faire Video

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Sat May 14 10:15:05 EDT 2011

I was there from Friday to late Sunday and I didn't see a single person from
Ottawa. Well, wait, there was one guy who came but not as a presenter.

I was quite surprised as I was sort of expecting to see a few tables from
Ottawa.

A makerfaire is always worth going to and there aren't that many to go to. I
only know of three in Canada. Vancouver, Toronto and Ottawa. So that's
really two since Vancouver is a little far unless you want to foot a plane
ticket which may not be cheap for a maker with a pile of stuff to
transport. In usa, there's just New York and Detroit within easy driving
distance (that I'm aware of).

You meet lots of people because you can cruise around the booths and chat.
Lots of people will find your booth. You get a lot of peer review for your
projects and ideas and may find relevant contacts such as suppliers or
media.

If you have a product to sell that's even better since that will cover your
gas and perhaps a beer or two. :)

I didn't sell as many Squirrels as in New York but I sold more per capita
for the event.