[Lab] Introduce Myself

lists at faintfuzzies.ca lists at faintfuzzies.ca
Thu Jun 30 13:42:23 EDT 2011

Hi,

My name is Bruce Harding and I just joined the group.  I've always had an
interest in DYI projects, but never the time to do it.  I was the manager of
Computer Books for Less until it closed where I first learnt of the Maker
movement via the Make magazine that I brought in.  That sort of rekindled my
interest in electronics and other DYI projects.

The last time I worked on anything like a DYI electric project was more they
35 years ago, so to say I'm rusty is any understatement.

The real impetus to start now is that I'm an amateur astronomer.  One of the
big issue in astronomy is dealing with dew accumulation on our mirrors and eye
pieces.  We combat this problem with what is know as dew abatement systems.
These can include heat straps and controllers.

Presently I've a basic controller. But I want to have something with more
options the closest thing too that would be
http://www.kendrickastro.com/astro/dew_controllers.html#PremierController
Well I don't what to buy one so I looked around for one I could make and came
up with this... http://www.iceinspace.com.au/63-597-0-0-1-0.html.  I think
this will be a challenge for me, but I'm hoping that being part of this group
and your advice will keep me from disaster.

So there you go. Me in a nutshell (O'Reilly book humour intend)

==
Bruce
Member: SPIE, IEEE, IACR
Faintfuzzies.ca