[Lab] Ham radio

Andrew Plumb andrew at plumb.org
Thu Jun 2 14:03:16 EDT 2011

As it relates to obtaining your license, the "Getting Started" page is here:

http://www.rac.ca/en/amateur-radio/beginner-info/getting-started.php

I've had mine since I was a kid (Call sign VE3SLG, Basic + 12WPM Code; only 5WPM is needed now) but am rarely active these days.

It is handy when you want to do longer-range RC vehicle stuff; see http://www.rac.ca/en/rac/services/bandplans/6m/ in the 50.8 - 50.98 MHz range.

Andrew.

On 2011-06-02, at 1:11 PM, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 02, 2011 at 12:07:30PM -0400, Jean-Marc LeBlanc wrote:
>> is there any one who is currently into amateur radio?  I am wondering
>> if any one has any links? and maybe the average cost to get a license?
>
> I had a moderate interest as a kid, but never did get my licence.  I am
> still interested, but have too many of those at the moment!
>
> I'd start with the Radio Amateurs of Canada:
> 	http://www.rac.ca/cdn_clubs/region_ontario_no.htm
>
> I've been to one local meeting, a while back.  There are a number of
> members in the local Linux users group (oclug.on.ca), Richard
> Haggemeier, Tyler Tidman come to mind...
>
>> Jean-Marc Le Blanc
>
> 	slainte mhath, RGB
>
> --
> Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
> <www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!
> Ottawa, ON, CANADA                  --  Lo_>__M__\\/\%__\\/\%

Makerbot Number Nine... #9... 0x09... 0o11... 0b1001...
http://clothbot.com/wiki/MakerBotNumberNine