[Lab] human powered art

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Mon Jan 17 12:20:02 EST 2011

Hi Richard,

Yeah, NEMA is just a mounting plate so I was really considering if that size
was big enough and also if a stepper was the right choice.

What it looks like though is that those go-kart motors are attractive. Also
the home made generators (parts from volvo and such) look good but I think
the go-kart is a little more accessible to me at the moment so I will
probably look at that.

Plus if I ever get the urge to make a motorized scooter I'd have the motor
on hand.

I'm pretty sure the steppers are too small (and the go-kart industry is
price friendly as it's also a scaled up industry).

Not only that you get DC out of the go-kart motors which might be more
handy.

 I was at Princes Auto yesterday and they didn't have anything like it
floating around.

So I will start a prototype using one of those motors.

I guess once I get one or two of those motors I can start to look at
different ways to drive it with human power.

-user pushes a wheel around
-user rows
-user pedals
-user wears a harness and pulls cable off a spool to create rotary motion
-user wears a harness and does squats to pull row spool. (two people could
do a teeter totter action like that
-user hand cranks
-user pulls a rope like a tug-a-war

Obviously to get the big power we're going to need the legs in on this.