[Lab] human powered art

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Sat Jan 15 20:55:55 EST 2011

I guess another way to look at it is if I need 1000W to make toast. And it
takes 5m to make the toast. If we can get 50W out of a person, then they'd
have to peddle for 15m to charge a battery, then they could make the toast
in 5m. So it would take 20m to make the toast. (Assuming we've got a pretty
efficient generator and battery).

But then we don't feel the real load of making toast since we've spread it
out over 15m. I wanted to make the power in real time. I imagined that a
person would guess (wrongly) that they could turn the generator and make
toast easily. But when they try it they will be surprised that they can't
sustain since the toaster draws too much current. So then they'd get their
friends to help gang up on the machine.

So I was thinking of having some sort of spool with cable on it and people
could row (turning the spool), or even harness the cable to their hip and
run out for 20 feet, then return and do it again. If there were a long
enough spool so lots of people could be doing this action, then a team of
people could probably make the toast.

I've got some interesting ideas of how to have people turn the generator but
I want to start with having one that's efficient and the right size.