[Lab] human powered art

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Fri Jan 14 07:14:29 EST 2011

I would like to make a human powered generator for an art project.

I am curious if a couple of NEMA 34 motors is large enough to capture all
the power that a human can generate.

I'm looking at a couple of applications.

1) To run a 120V toaster. I suspect this might need as many as 5 people to
peddle. Also to run a 60W incandescence bulb.

2) To charge a 12V battery.

I'm suspecting that a stepper motor is a good candidate to make the
electricity. I think the first part of the project is to make up some BOMs
that show what motor to use, the RPM that it would require and parts for a
rectifier and whatever else is necessary to operate in these applications.

Does anybody know of any existing projects or have any recommendations?