[Lab] photography: dSLR and SLR

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at tricolour.net
Mon Jan 10 23:26:13 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 10:16:01PM -0500, Darcy Whyte wrote:
> Those cameras are pretty expensive right? I found a used one in ebay for a
> couple thousand bucks that has some lenses and stuff with it. Does that
> sound on the right track?

Yeah, it is about $3500 new, without lenses.

> So you mean you upgraded the eprom on the camera and now you have to wait to
> try Magic Lantern again?

I just checked, and I had actually left it at 1.1.0 so I could continue
to use version 0.1.6.  I had 1.2.4 queued hoping magiclantern would come
up to meet it.  Since then, Canon has released 2.0.3 (which had a bug),
immediately released 2.0.4 and more recently 2.0.8.  Magiclantern has
now caught up and released 0.1.9 for 2.0.8.  I can now go up to Canon
2.0.8 and magiclantern 0.1.9.

Magiclantern doesn't replace the Canon firmware.  It supplements it,
and hooking into the existing Canon firmware temporarily.
A reboot gets rid of it until you reload Magiclantern.

> On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 9:28 PM, Richard Guy Briggs <rgb at tricolour.net>wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 07:52:52PM -0500, Darcy Whyte wrote:
> > > One of my project is to get a camera running the CHDK operating system.
> > > http://mambohead.com/2010/12/time-lapse-photography-and-chdk/
> > >
> > > As you can see by the project post, I have managed to get a Cannon A720
> > and
> > > get it running. I've not shot any time lapse or motion control with it
> > yet
> > > but will soon!
> > >
> > > But I just learned that you can get some open source software running on
> > > their more elaborate dSLR cameras. That project is called Magic Lantern
> > (as
> > > you can see by the update at the bottom of the post.
> > >
> > > Anybody have any experience with those cameras or the Magic Lantern
> > project?
> >
> > I have run magic lantern on my Canon 5D mark II.
> >
> > It was pretty interesting and worked pretty well, but I'm waiting for
> > their updates to catch up with Canon firmware updates.
> >
> > The things I liked most about it was the ability to over ride the audio
> > AGC (Automatic Gain Control) and the VU meters.
> >
> > I see there are now updates from both Canon (2.0.8) and Magic Lantern
> > (0.1.9) since I last checked in early fall.  Thanks for the remider...
> >
> > I'd like to see them add voice annotation to it since the hardware is
> > all there.
> >

> >        slainte mhath, RGB

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!