[Lab] Got extra EL wire?

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at tricolour.net
Wed Jan 5 17:48:37 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 03:01:43PM -0500, Andrew Plumb wrote:
> Definitely wait until after Winterlude and for warmer weather then.
> No rush!
>
> What I'll probably do then is order a small quantity and a couple of
> inverters (one to use as-is and the other to hack for
> audio-modulation) from Adafruit to get started with proof-of-concept.
> See http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=50

Surely I can get you a small chunk for proof of concept...  A driver
should be pretty easy to put together.  Should be able to do it with a
transistor, RC network, battery, small transformer and a small handful
of other parts.

Here's one:
	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcXHx5ikjM4&feature=channel
	http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRnqGBisKY8&playnext=1&list=PLC6B3EE518D3D7016&index=2

> Thanks!
>
> Andrew.
>
> On 2011-01-05, at 2:47 PM, Richard Guy Briggs wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 11:59:32AM -0500, Andrew Plumb wrote:
> >> Hey Richard,
> >
> > Hi Andrew,
> >
> >> Will you be able to make it out this evening?
> >
> > I hope so.
> >
> >> If you have any of that EL wire left, I'd be interested in buying some
> >> lengths of each colour from you.  I'm curious to see if short lengths
> >> could be used to hook up piezo elements (the 90V type) for active and
> >> passive sensing, actuation and "visible sound" projects.
> >
> > Interesting!
> >
> > How much of each colour are you seeking?  Will you need a driver?
> > I have 175' of blue, 165' green and 80' red, cut up in lengths of 50' or
> > less.  The drivers are good for 25-50', but if you have less than 25' of
> > wire, the driver could be loaded with an appropriate capacitive load
> > (maybe even resistive).
> >
> > It is still all connected to the parade float in the garage.  The end of
> > season pretty much happenned around the parade, so I had no great need
> > to dismantle the float and I've just had a suggestion to try and work
> > something out for Winterlude.  It would be better I suspect to remove it
> > once it warms up to avoid the possibility of cracking it.  The cold
> > itself shouldn't be an issue if it isn't moved and it is protected from
> > UV.
> >

> >> Andrew.
> >
> > 	slainte mhath, RGB
> >
> > --
> > Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
> > <www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!
> > Ottawa, ON, CANADA                  --  Lo_>__M__\\/\%__\\/\%

> Makerbot Number Nine... #9... 0x09... 0o11... 0b1001...
> http://clothbot.com/wiki/MakerBotNumberNine

	slainte mhath, RGB