[Lab] Depth Perception

Tom Burns tom.i.burns at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 15:02:23 EDT 2011

Hi

a bit of math.
average distance between eyes = 6cm = 0.06m (women = 5.5cm average, men =
6.5cm average)
football field distance ~= 100m. (give or take depending on which league,
etc)
cloud height = depends on a lot of factors but lets say 2000m which is what
wikipedia suggests is "mid range clouds" distance.

scale factor = 100 / 0.06 = 1666.67

so at a football field's pupillary distance a 2000m high cloud would appear
2000/1666.67 = 1.2m.

For where to cross the eyes I would guess a comfortable point would be
around 1m in front of your eyes, so around 1666 m in the sky.

Practically speaking aligning the cameras would be a nightmare.

Tom