[Lab] buying a 3d printer

Paul & Andrea Mumby themumbys at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 11:21:13 EDT 2011

Honestly, if you want low cost, the RepRap Huxley can be had for like $500
for a full kit ready to build.

For a bit more money the makerbot is a good option

Next up on the pricing range, but very high quality and speed (I've been
impressed with the demo prints and videos of his performance) is the
ultimaker. That thing is FAST, and can print very high quality. With a good
build volume.

Lastly, the UP is extremely high quality, reliable, and quite fast. But will
cost you about $3K.

I've also got some inside info that a new line of "professional grade" 3D
printers (whatever that means) which will be commercial units, in the price
range of "under $5K" will be coming out soon (in the next couple weeks)
which will supposedly dwarf the UP as far as speed, resolution, and quality
are concerned.

Does that help with some options?

- Paul