[Lab] what are these motors?

Richard Guy Briggs rgb at tricolour.net
Mon Aug 1 21:50:57 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 30, 2011 at 01:16:47PM -0400, Darcy Whyte wrote:
> Anybody know what these motors are?
>
> http://mambohead.com/2011/07/120v-timing-motors/

They are 120v 60Hz A/C synchronous motors.  They could be used in
clocks, washing machine or clothes dryer timing dials, etc.  I have one
in my Hammond organ that precisely sets the tuning of the instrument.
It spins the electromechanical tonewheels at the correct frequency to
generate the tones for musical notes, hence the organ is not tunable and
everything else has to tune to it.  In fact, Laurens Hammond was
originally an electric clock inventor and may actually hold the patent
for the motor itself, if not its use as an electric clock timebase.

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!