No subject

Fri Oct 15 15:05:20 EDT 2010

for exhausting the toxic fumes that are generated, this will also contain
any stray laser power. Ifyou want to see into the enclosure, you can use a
thick piece of acrylic as the window, as it is essentially opaque to the
wavelength of light generated by a CO2 laser. [I'm assuming a CO2 laser]

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 6:44 PM, Darcy Whyte <darcy at siteware.com> wrote:

> Here are a few thoughts about the final stages of building my laser cutter.
>

> 1) Laser alignment: I was thinking of mounting the first mirror, then
> mounting a block of wood at the location of the 2nd mirror. I can adjust the
> first mirror by firing the laser into the block of wood till the dot is
> where expected. Then move the block to the next mirror and adjust another
> mirror. Eventually the laser will come out of the nozzle.
>
> 2) Visible laser: If I want to get a laser pointer and add it as a guide as
> to where the laser is about to burn, any suggestions for that? It might be
> nice to have a visible dot where cutting is about to begin. Where to get a
> good pointer for this? What about other ideas of knowing where the laser
> will burn. This is just for doing stuff like finding (0,0,0) and such. An
> alternate idea is to have two small pointers attached on the laser cutting
> nozzle. They would be angled to reach the focal point. So if the laser is in
> focus, the two dots converge and we can see the cutting point. If out of
> focus, we see two dots. Another idea might be to have a post coming down and
> the laser is a certain offset from that.
>
> 3) Stray laser power. The beam starts at about 1mm width. The 50mm focal
> length lens will then bring it to a smaller cross section for cutting. It
> will obviously diverge at distances over 50mm. I figure it will be back to
> 1mm width at a distance of 100mm from the lens. At 150mm, it will cover 4
> times the area so the power will start to be more spread out. So if the
> cutting surface is like 150 or 200mm from the table, then the laser will not
> heat the table too much.
>
> 4) Cutting table. I'm making a cutting table out of some chicken wire like
> stuff I was given. I'm planning on stretching it over a rectangular frame so
> that it is nice and flat and rigid. I think that the laser will heat it but
> not too much as it's metal. I guess it it wears out quickly I should try
> some different material.
>
> 5) The laser high voltage terminals stick out of the glass and are about
> .2" long. They are about 60 thousands of an inch thick. For testing I used
> some thin copper wire to wrap the high voltage wires onto it. I then used
> electrical tape and some thick rubber tubing to insulate. For production,
> there must be some sort of connector that can slip on the pegs and be okay
> with 25,000 volts. Any ideas?

> This is a private list.  Make sure you get express permission from the
> authors before you forward any messages elsewhere.

--20cf3054a4a989c9050494e5faf2

For option 2 something like this: <a href=3D"http://cgi.ebay.ca/Beam-Combin=
er-optic-mirror-CO2-Laser-Red-diode-CNC-/160363511773?pt=3DLH_DefaultDomain=
_0&amp;hash=3Ditem255668ffdd">http://cgi.ebay.ca/Beam-Combiner-optic-mirror=
-CO2-Laser-Red-diode-CNC-/160363511773?pt=3DLH_DefaultDomain_0&amp;hash=3Di=
tem255668ffdd</a><br>
his for exhausting the toxic fumes that are generated, this will also conta=
in any stray laser power. Ifyou want to see into the enclosure, you can use=
 a thick piece of acrylic as the window, as it is essentially opaque to the=
 wavelength of light generated by a CO2 laser. [I&#39;m assuming a CO2 lase=
r]<br>
cy Whyte <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:darcy at siteware.com">darcy@=
le=3D"margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204);=
 padding-left: 1ex;">
s of building my laser cutter.
t mirror, then mounting a block of wood at the location of the 2nd mirror. =
I can adjust the first mirror by firing the laser into the block of wood ti=
ll the dot is where expected. Then move the block to the next mirror and ad=
just another mirror. Eventually the laser will come out of the nozzle.</div=

add it as a guide as to where the laser is about to burn, any suggestions f=
or that? It might be nice to have a visible dot where cutting is about to b=
egin. Where to get a good pointer for this? What about other ideas of knowi=
ng where the laser will burn. This is just for doing stuff like finding (0,=
0,0) and such. An alternate idea is to have two small pointers attached on =
the laser cutting nozzle. They would be angled to reach the focal point. So=
 if the laser is in focus, the two dots converge and we can see the cutting=
 point. If out of focus, we see two dots. Another idea might be to have a p=
ost coming down and the laser is a certain offset from that.=A0</div>

h. The 50mm focal length lens will then bring it to a smaller cross section=
 for cutting. It will obviously diverge at distances over 50mm. I figure it=
 will be back to 1mm width at a distance of 100mm from the lens. At 150mm, =
it will cover 4 times the area so the power will start to be more spread ou=
t. So if the cutting surface is like 150 or 200mm from the table, then the =
laser will not heat the table too much.=A0</div>

 some chicken wire like stuff I was given. I&#39;m planning on stretching i=
t over a rectangular frame so that it is nice and flat and rigid. I think t=
hat the laser will heat it but not too much as it&#39;s metal. I guess it i=
t wears out quickly I should try some different material.</div>

ass and are about .2&quot; long. They are about 60 thousands of an inch thi=
ck. For testing I used some thin copper wire to wrap the high voltage wires=
 onto it. I then used electrical tape and some thick rubber tubing to insul=
ate. For production, there must be some sort of connector that can slip on =
the pegs and be okay with 25,000 volts. Any ideas?</div>

Discussion mailing list<br>
/a><br>