[Lab] another hair brained project! clave!

Darcy Whyte darcy at siteware.com
Tue Oct 5 11:42:56 EDT 2010

I am making a piece of art work which will detect music beat and then play
the clave to the music.

If you are unfamiliar with clave, here is a video to explain it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LWxIqnbxWQ

The particular rhythm I want is the reverse (or forward) rumba clave (both
common in Salsa and rumba music).

I was thinking that processing.org and an arduino could be used to listen in
on music and determine the tempo by finding equidistant peaks of volume.
Attempt to group the beats into 8 and determine the strongest of 8. Assign
it as beat 1. Then strike the Clave on 1, 2.5, 4, 6 and 7. Clave strike
could be a solenoid, or perhaps a DC motor.

Any comments or ideas of the technology?