[Lab] Last Mod Lab before the new year!

Ryan Stec ryanstec at artengine.ca
Wed Dec 15 12:10:47 EST 2010

Hello Everyone,

Hope to see you all tonight for the last Mod Lab of 2010!

It's been a great year and everyone at Artengine has been so delighted to see the growing activity at the Lab. As the Lab has grown so has has the range of interest and we are now seeing new meet ups for info exchange and work. In order to make it a bit easier for some of the new interests to meet up we are going to change the Mod Lab to the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of every month. This gives groups a bit more time to meet outside the Lab and creates a standard meet date that we can post on our website with out needing updates. This also gives us a bit more of a standard schedule to book the Lab off for production as we look to the future planning this year.

Speaking of production we are also looking at making the Lab a bit more electronics friendly. We are hoping to move our support for audio-visual work to the field and to another space which would leave us free to create some better work areas that could be semi permanent, including a regular space for the Maker Bot. This would make it easier to come in and work on projects and not have to set up and take down everything.

We have some installation projects that will use the space for presentation in the spring, but after that we will probably move forward with these ideas on the Lab. Nothing is set in stone though, so we look forward to getting some feedback from people.

We will also be working on implementing the Mod Lab membership in the new year. This would give a reduced rate of access to Production equipment in exchange for a free workshop given at Artengine, so start sharpening those workshop ideas!

See you tonight, and of course tommorrow night for our Annual General Meeting. Remember $75.00 Producing Memberships are on sale at the AGM, and with more rapid prototyping equipment bound for the Lab in 2011 you know this is a great deal!

Cheers,
Ryan Stec
Artistic Director
Artengine