[Lab] status of CAD software

Tom Burns tom.i.burns at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 10:58:49 EST 2010

If you're just starting out I'd definitely suggest Sketchup.

Blender is another option that runs on Linux and is free.  Not sure about
conversion to G-code but it most likely exists.

For circuit boards Eagle seems to be the best standard for hobbyists.  It
also runs on Linux now. The free version is only for trial, the cheap
version can only do relatively small boards, but the parts library is second
to none.  As well a lot of stores and communities (Sparkfun and adafruit for
example) release part libraries for the parts they use often.

For 2D drawings, etchings, or panels, Inkscape is a great vector drawing
program.  I've used it for synthesizer panels.

Tom