[Gridflow-dev] migrating gridflow repository from svn to git?

Claude Heiland-Allen claude at mathr.co.uk
Wed Sep 19 20:43:06 EDT 2018

Hi,

I am interested in working on gridflow a little bit, to get it
buildable/working on current Debian Buster, so I can run my old patches
again...

I got it to build and work to some extent but some features I tried are
not working: automatic (help)path adding, Gem autodetect, #to_pix
(#from_pix works with 9393)

GridFlow: can't detect this version of GEM: i=10 j=4

But the SVN is a big obstacle, it is not distributed, so I can't easily
work offline and have a local scratch for trying things out, etc.

Moreover I just tried to commit something with my password from early
2016 and it failed with both gridflow.ca and gridflow.artengine.ca SVN urls:

$ svn commit --username claude --non-interactive --password-from-stdin
configure -m "ruby-2.5 compatibility"
svn: E175013: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: E175013: Access to '/svn/!svn/me' forbidden
$

git-svn seems to be a tool for bidirectional interaction between git and
svn, but to get started I needed to set up an AUTHORS file, translating
from SVN logins to git "User Example <user at example.com>".

Here is a list(*) of all the logins in the SVN repository, sorted by
number of commits:

    6016 matju
     187 heri
     185 alx
     116 pboivin
      97 gridflow
      95 ac
      39 stephanie
      22 steph
      18 claude
      16 alx1
      13 mescalinum
      13 chantal
       9 tigital
       8 darsha
       6 anonymous
       3 (no author)
       2 carmen
       1 normand

Full names and email addresses would be nice for posterity, but there
are privacy issues that I suppose would require contacting everyone.
For now (in my local copy(**)) I set it up like

matju = matju <gridflow-dev at artengine.ca>
heri = heri <gridflow-dev at artengine.ca>

with the same address for all authors, and I will run some tests soon to
see if patches can be transferred between clones with different AUTHORS
files.

git-svn has some caveats, recommending to do merges in svn instead of in
git, and git am to apply patches, so I suggest migrating to git
permanently at some point soon...

Cheers,

Claude

(*) svn log -q | grep ^r | sed "s/^[[:alnum:]]* . \(.*\) . 2.*$/\1/g" |
sort | uniq -c | sort -g -r
(**) git svn clone --stdlayout --log-window-size=666
--authors-file=AUTHORS https://gridflow.ca/svn/ gridflow

--
https://mathr.co.uk