[Gridflow-dev] [gemdead]

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Apr 29 20:04:40 EDT 2011

from irc #dataflow :

<hellocatfood> Is it possible to use [gemdead] with objects such as [cube]
and [sphere] in gridflow?

In theory, I said no, but actually, [gemdead] doesn't prevent you from
using OpenGL elements, and things like [cube] and [sphere] don't check at
all whether they're given a real [gemhead] context, and don't seem to be
doing much that is related to it, therefore :

   [gemhead]

   [b]

   [gemdead]

   [cube]

will really draw the cube as if you had done :

   [gemhead]

   [cube]

I suspect that very few Gem object classes really depend on an authentic
GemState (one that was really created by [gemwin]). When you do find
exceptions, please tell me.

But you may have to use [gemhead] anyway (as in the above example) as long
as [gemwin] decides when to clear the buffer and when to copy the buffer
to the screen, just because [gemwin] uses [gemdead] to say when it's the
time to draw.