[Gridflow-dev] [PD] OpenMP and Pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Dec 6 10:09:42 EST 2010

On Mon, 6 Dec 2010, Claude Heiland-Allen wrote:

> NB: while it does use more than one core, I just compared with the single
> core version of gridflow without openmp and it uses only 25% of my cpu (on
> one core) while the openmp version uses 145% of my cpu (spread over two
> cores).  So, it's no magic bullet...

I don't know how OpenMP works, but is there a way to apply it selectively
to only part of a project ? I'm just guessing that it could make a big
difference, e.g. if you don't apply it to numop*.cxx but you do apply it
to much of the rest (perhaps also exclude gridflow.cxx itself because it
contains the BitPacking class).

I just had this idea because of what you told me on the #dataflow chat.