[Gridflow-dev] gem 0.92

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Oct 15 10:11:34 EDT 2009

On Thu, 15 Oct 2009, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> note that the bundled includes (gridflow/bundled/Base/*.h) from gem 0.90 or
> so, don't work with gem 0.92. for gem 0.91 i don't know, it might depend on
> the specific date. with the current [#from_pix] and [#to_pix], the ideal way
> to deal with that is to use installed headers, but gem doesn't install
> headers, and gridflow/bundled would need to contain more big clusters of many
> .h files for each compatibility break.
>
> in the end, there might be a "cleaner" solution to this problem, which
> would be to rewrite the code so that it doesn't need Gem's headers, but
> if we put this effort on packaging instead, the issue could become
> almost moot.

and i would recommend that Gentoo never uses --gem-include=bundled, no
matter the circumstances. this folder is designed for people who want to
save some time on "manual" downloads and "manual" conf, not something
automatic for Gentoo. any copy of headers is a tradeoff, as that copy of
headers risks becoming out-of-sync sooner or later.

the [#to_pix]/[#from_pix] rewrite's best effect, imho, would be to be able
to make the same gridflow binary run with any gem binary, but in the
context of pd-extended as a big package, we don't care. in the context of
a split-package system, though, gridflow may be compiled with gem >= 0.91,
or 0.90 <= gem < 0.91, or gem < 0.90, and when the choice between the
three is made, the binary will only run with one of those three
interfaces, so this has to be taken into account when listing package
dependencies. (however, those numbers i just listed are perhaps not
exactly right, especially if people use bêta or alpha versions.)