[Gridflow-dev] [PD-dev] trouble installing PWC driver

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Aug 3 12:39:49 EDT 2009

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, sisil mehta wrote:

> u mentioned about using the uvc driver, but i actually ws using gridflow
> in puredata which requires the pwc driver.(unless there is a way to
> avoid that and use uvc . is there?)

Johannes Zmölnig just mentioned (on pd-dev) some way of doing it, which I
have not tried yet. This is because UVC supports V4L2 but not V4L1, and
GridFlow supports V4L1 but not V4L2, so you need an adaptor. I knew about
an adaptor for the other way (V4L1 driver, V4L2 program) but not this way
(V4L2 driver, V4L1 program).

GridFlow does not "require" the PWC driver. It supports some features that
are only in the PWC driver, but that's optional. It supports V4L1 in
general (I used it with Brooktree devices and QC-USB devices in the past).

I believe that a device is either requiring the PWC driver or the UVC
driver, and you don't have a choice. for example, the QC Pro 4000 supports
only PWC, and the QC Pro 5000 supports only UVC.