[Gridflow-dev] excessive stack usage?

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Tue Aug 19 09:18:23 EDT 2008

Hi,

I had a problem with a large (but not excessively large, and not
recursive) gridflow patch segfaulting seemingly at random.

Turned out (after much puzzling over gdb/valgrind traces) that it was
overflowing the stack, which was 8kB (Debian Lenny bash default, at
least I didn't change anything..):

$ ulimit -s
8192

Increasing it to ~100kB solved the problem:

$ ulimit -s 100000

..but I'm wondering if gridflow should put less data on the stack?

Either that or maybe add a hint to the documentation that "if it
crashes, check that your stack size is big enough".

Claude