[Gridflow-dev] irc meeting on monday (fwd)

David Plans Casal main at davidcasal.com
Tue May 3 11:02:45 EDT 2005

On 2 May 2005, at 00:49, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

>> I feel that a good GridFlow intro, especially if related to the Ruby
>> guts, would be a fantastic thing to have; for one thing, it would
>> save newcomers a lot of grief.
>
> The Ruby side of GridFlow hasn't been much documented because:
>
>   1. I wanted to change it significantly so that it becomes easier to
> use.

Do you still plan to do this? Do you feel it will be possible given
your current commitments? Just trying to get an idea as to where it
might go...the main problem I found was to be able to clearly 'see' the
structure of a PD object expressed as ruby/gridflow...having a really
well-documented API would be amazing!

I do acknowledge http://gridflow.ca/latest/doc/internals.html#notes

and
http://gridflow.ca/latest/doc/
internals.html#ruby%20class%20FObject%20extending%20Data

Just wondering if you'd think about better docs for someone coming to
it from not just a Grid perspective but also wanting to 'build pd
objects with ruby' perspective.

>   2. Not many people in the PureData world really need it.

True enough. However, the opportunity to interact with PD in Ruby is
just too great to miss; while it took me a while (and a lot of your
help) to realise that I could write a simple object in GridFlow and
start using it immediately, most people wouldn't realise right away. If
they did, I think more people would use it that way.

Don't you think?

Anyway, I don't want to bug you with more proposals (you probably have
a loooong todo list already).

Lemme know if I can help in any way.

Cheers

David