[Gridflow-dev] camera.pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 16 11:55:37 EST 2005

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005, Normand Fisher wrote:

> Hi, in camera.pd, I noe that the bottom left hand corner house an
> interesting feature that detects my camera configuration.  This is
> quite usefull but does it work with webcam?  If not, I would like to
> see a similar feature for webcams as well.

No, this is *not* an autodetection. If you analyse how the patch works, or
if you just guess at it from the contents of the messagebox (it looks
almost like what #in videodev accepts, and in fact, get translated to that
by a subpatch of #camera) then you can see that it's just hardcoded values
that happens to work with the "most common setup"...

... which is a BrookTree-848 or 878 or similar digitiser card, on which
there are usually four input plugs, and that the second one (numbered "1")
is either the Composite RCA or another plug that you'd plug Composite RCA
into with an adapter; e.g. into my WinTV is plugged an adaptor from RCA to
some weird variant of SVHS or SVideo.

> I would also suggest to label this (these) tools or even better, make
> those selectors the patch with the rest in a sub-patch.

I think it's time to rework a lot of #camera so that it's more intuitive
and more useful.