[Gridflow-dev] modifying pd_help patches

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Sun Jan 2 23:14:30 EST 2005

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005, Stéphanie Brodeur wrote:

> Before starting to modify the pd_help patches I want
> to make sure I will be doing the right thing.

1. change the filename: @ becomes #, and -help has to be inserted in the
name (if you ever seen pd confuse an abstraction with its help file, this
is why you have to insert -help in the name). Also some helpfiles have
nonstandard names (help_mouse.pd) that have to be fixed. The names of
helpfiles should be in sync with the names of icons. Move the helpfile to
the same directory as its icon.

2. Split old help files such as @importexport and @foldinnerouter.
Remove obsolete ones such as @inner2, @twothreefour. Add missing help
files (there should be one per icon).

3. Mention "GridFlow 0.8.0" in the corner of the patch.

4. Update contents of patches to match 0.8.0: @ prefix becomes #, but
also, #fold,#scan,#inner,#outer,#convolve have a change in args, as well
as some of them having one less inlet. Make sure they work according to
what the comments say (you may have to change too-old comments). Consult
reference.html as necessary.

5. Make sure you commit everything properly with its new name and then
remove corresponding obsolete patches.

6. Ask me to verify.

7. Make screenshots with same name as patch except with .png suffix, in
the same folder, and commit.

I think that would be a pretty good start.

Then, a bit later: covering new features would be good, but right now,
many of them are not even in the reference manual. Using the new [display]
class to make things more visual would be a big plus (maybe just after I
make a few more bugfixes to it). I'll also add more features to GridFlow
to help build more meaningful/visual help files.

That's all I have to say for now. I think this can get you going for a
while :-)