[Gridflow-dev] [#camera]

Matju matju at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 23 16:16:52 EDT 2004

{ from irc.freenode.net #dataflow }

<alx1> matju: I added another size in [#camera.pd] to work with a webcam I
have
<alx1> matju: I notice that you have more resolutions in the [#store]
object inside [pd camera]
<alx1> matju: should we not display all the possible resolutions?

Well I thought that a lot more resolutions would actually be useful, to
the point where it would be silly to have presets. Additionally, I thought
I'd add a proper "size attribute" : that is, [#in videodev] would respond
to "get size" messages by outputting a "list 240 320" (or whatever) on
right outlet and that ought to be displayed as-is.

I am slowly introducing attributes (much like those in Jitter and Flext)
into GF and I want to make it ubiquitous so that pretty GUIs (akin to
property-dialogs) can be designed to fit around a given object class in a
more natural way -- two-way communication between the GUI and the nonGUI
(which I began doing with [#camera] by adding a "get" method to videodev).

To me it is important to separate between user-interface objects and other
objects. (e.g. [#centroid] or [fps] could look good with a GOP displaying
its inner states but sometimes you just don't want to have that feedback
because it's distracting or slowing down the system, and when you do want
to add a gui it's easy to do by plugging a few [nbx] around.

In a sense I call for the same "model/view" duality in GF as in IMPD,
except that with GF I think most of it would be GOP abstractions.

<alx1> matju: so I have a problem because the only resolution I can set
the webcam to is 288 x 352

I have webcams like that too. That's really strange. Usually it's 4:3 or
16:9 or 3:2 but here it's 11:9 (!). I have no clue why lots of webcams
come hardwired to that particular resolution. (i found out the format is
called VCD-PAL but no explanations)

anyhow. there's currently a bug in #store that causes nervous_video to
crash whenever you reassign. the current workaround is to modify the
[#store] box directly; but i should have a real fix soon.