[Dorkbot-ott] [ohs] Equipment

Andrew Plumb andrew at plumb.org
Fri Feb 26 15:10:49 EST 2010

On 2010-02-26, at 2:30 PM, Sebastien Bailard wrote:
[deletia]
> Also, we use it purely in additive RepRap-mode until artengine has the
> proper space for messy but important tools.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten about that option.  There are several advantages to getting a mill and adding an extruder instead of a MakerBot:

- Since all axes are moved by threaded rods, not belts, it would have much better relative and absolute position accuracy.

- We could print much larger pieces than what MakerBot is capable of.  I have often found myself in situations where I wish I could print larger than 10cm x 10xm x 13cm.

- I have a spare extruder kit already, and there are designs out there for "printable extruders" that shouldn't be too hard for me to fab parts for.

- It has been done.  See Matthew's Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/matthewlaberge/

Another CNC machine to consider is a Sherline CNC mill system:
http://www.sherline.com/8540pg.htm

Since we're in Canada, I'd suggest the metric P/N 8021A CNC Mill System with Accessory Package for US $2965.00.

Details of the Model 2000/2010 in that package are here: http://www.sherline.com/2000pg.htm

Thoughts?

Andrew.

--

"The future is already here.  It's just not very evenly distributed" -- William Gibson