[Pdmtl] puredata conference - Montreal

Alexandre Castonguay acastonguay at artengine.ca
Tue Oct 12 10:18:55 EDT 2004

Bonjour a tous et toutes,

On Tuesday 12 October 2004 08:30, Matju wrote:
> Ok, here are a few challenges:
>
> 1. IEM/ESC/CC/MKL did it real good this year, and are very likely to
> organise one next year, no matter whether there is one in Montreal or not.
> The Montreal one is going to compete for attention with the Graz one. Graz
> is a small city, about the size (population) of Gatineau, which is 10% of
> Montreal or so. YET they kick ass when it comes to PureData. They've been
> doing it for, I don't know, 3-5 years. You know where the
> toggle/slider/etc objects were created? Graz. You know where the central
> repository of GEM's source code is? Graz. You know where is
> http://PureData.info/ ? Graz.

<big snip>

> so, i hope this is food for thought and that I have covered enough
> potential issues. any thoughts?

The intent of the first email was not to tackle every organisational issue
right away but rather to involve everyone who might want to be at this pre
planning stage.  I believe that addressing all the important issues that
Mathieu raises is premature at this stage.  I think we should aim for a
meeting (online or in real life, sometime in late October?) where we can go
through the documentation form the Graz organisation and discuss our visions
for a conference.

That said...

Not only are everyone in Graz and IEM doing really amazing things they also do
not pose their work in any sort of competitive framework.  At least I felt
that principles guiding Open Source software development were present in the
warmth and scope of their invitations extended to the puredata community.
This is something to be inspired from, not weary of.

They did express regrets for not being able to invite everyone who is
contributing to Puredata on the occasion of the first conference.  With
enough time in the organisation of the conference, we could be even more
inclusive.

I have heard so far enthusiastic response from (in no particular order ;-) :
The SAT, Inter/access, early contacts at Concordia, Videographe, artengine, a
number of artists. I still have to approach Miller's contact at McGill and I
am sure I am already forgetting people and orgs.

Ciao,

Alexandre