[Lab] Open Education / Open Textbook resources

Jason Cobill jason.cobill at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 14:37:46 EDT 2018

   Hi Modlabbers,

   I recently discovered an Open Textbook initiative by Ontario
universities:
   https://openlibrary.ecampusontario.ca/
   Not a huge library but there are a few gems here, and it's growing!

   Reply with your favourite open learning / open books resources! Here's a
few of mine!

   *Kadenze*
   https://www.kadenze.com/
   Online Steam Education - lots of fresh topics like AI, Augmented Reality
and Art Business Online. These are curated and provided by other
universities - I took the AI for Artists program by Goldsmith's university
and it was really incredible.

   *MIT Open Courseware Textbook Library*
   https://ocw.mit.edu/courses/online-textbooks/
   The book "Street-fighting Mathematics" has shed light for me on the
underground math-fighting scene. ;) Or it's just a great title. So far no
actual fights described.

   *UMN Open Textbook Library*
   https://open.umn.edu/opentextbooks/
   Lots of humanities books here!

   *OpenLearn*
   http://www.open.edu/openlearn/
   You take your chances with this one, I find - but there are some novel
ways of approaching a subject (The Science of Wheeled Sports instead of a
traditional physics/dynamics text) and I think a lot of teachers are
experimenting with their curriculum here in ways they can't formally at
schools.