[Lab] National Library DigiLab

Ryan Stec ryanstec at artengine.ca
Fri Mar 3 17:00:07 EST 2017

Interesting repository of worlds and fascinating how integrated it has to
be to the software. In the process of digital preservation there has always
been this complex discussion about authenticity... if you are trying to
save games what are you saving? Is a software emulator enough to capture
the experience of the eighties and nineties 8bit games?

Digital art trailblazers Rhizome have been thinking through this for quite
a while. They have published things back in the nineties, but here is a
somewhat recent document from them.

http://media.rhizome.org/artbase/documents/Digital-Preservation-Practices-and-the-Rhizome-ArtBase.pdf

Ryan Stec
Artistic Director