[Lab] scale

Peter Sjoberg peters-modlab at techwiz.ca
Tue Jan 31 16:10:34 EST 2017

On 31/01/17 03:00 PM, Darcy Whyte wrote:
> I need to build a scale.. anybody done this? Am I better to pull sensors
> out of a cheap scale or get something?
>
> I'm going up to around 400g and need to differentiate about 5g...
Do you need it to be recordable/save to some log file or just see what
the weight is ?
For recordable version to build your self you need a HX711 (I have some
spare if needed) on a breakout board and some load cells for 400g (I
only got load cells for 50G or so). Loadcells can possible be pulled
from a digital kitchen scale (I pulled some from a bathroom scale).
Then it's just a question of getting something like an arduino to talk
to the HX711 (tutorials and libraries exist) and then you can start your
logging.

If you just want to see it, get a simple kitchen scale, that would be
well within your limits - mine is 1kg and +/- 2g.

/ps