[Lab] 3D models for printing using Blender

Stephen Burke steve at envirolaser.com
Wed Sep 28 13:09:35 EDT 2016

Hi Amos,

I normally would export the model as STL or OBJ.  Sometimes one format
provides a better result than the other for intermediate processing.

Once I have the exported file, I will run it though netfabb Basic (free)
to detect and correct any errors within the exported file.  You will
typically find holes, inverted triangles, degenerative faces and other
problems.  The Basic version of netfabb will allow you to auto-correct
most of these problems with a few mouse clicks.

I also use netfabb Basic to position the model in the desired
orientation and situated at the origin before I save any changes and
export it as a corrected STL file.  You can also scale the model in
netfabb Basic, allowing you to make adjustments before sending it to the
3D printer.  Make the file is exported as a Binary STL, it seems to work
better.

I hope that this helps.

--
Stephen Burke