[Lab] Spaxels - 100 Drone Light Show

Jason Cobill jason.cobill at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 11:15:38 EST 2016

   So it's been 11 months since I posted about "Drone 100"...
   The Intel team are now at 500 co-ordinated drones. :)
   https://youtu.be/aOd4-T_p5fA

   Apparently this has required a bunch of hardware and software
reconfiguration. The drones now have a styrofoam body component, longer
lasting batteries, guards over the propellers, and a newer more accurate
sensor suite. It would be really interesting to have a technical chat with
them about how swarm co-ordination has impacted their hardware designs and
software logistics.
   I wonder if some percentage of the 500 actually wait on the ground to
replace failures. Or if they're doing anything to prevent light reflections
off the mechanicals of the drones so the points look more defined? I wonder
how many die during a performance? I wonder how densely they can fly in a
formation without causing instabilities in lower-flying drones?

   I wonder ... if we can get them to pay a visit to Ottawa on their
upcoming world tour?

​