[Lab] raspberry pi 3 released

Henri Kuschkowitz henri.kuschkowitz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 13:54:55 EST 2016

I just bought a couple pi3s two days ago from element14... Oh well
Cheers guys,
Henri

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 10:35 AM -0800, "Toby Murray" <murray.toby at gmail.com> wrote:

I wasn't aware of the Odroid-C2 - that looks very interesting! I was looking at the Pi 3 this morning, more for performance than wifi/bluetooth, but stock seems to be low and I don't really want to shop in the US. Hardkernel's Canadian distributor is appears to be here: http://www.ca.diigiit.com/brands/brand-odroid/odroid-c2 - 76$ (damn exchange rate). Still, an extremely impressive offering - I like doubling up the RAM in particular. I think I'm sold!

What's the deal with eMMC? The "related product" on their page is a 50$ 8GB module, which seems pretty expensive. Are there better sources for these modules? Does anyone have any personal experience with the modules sold by hardkernel vs. a reputable SD card (e.g. Samsung PRO+)? I've only ever used SD (and microSD) cards for adding on storage, so the eMMC module is a twist for me.
On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Justin Hornosty <jjrh70 at gmail.com> wrote:

Peter Sjoberg writes:

> did you see that raspberry pi 3 is now released, now with faster cpu,

> wifi and bluetooth but still $35us

> https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-on-sale/

> and I just bought a rpi2...

Yup. While reading some comments about it lot of people were talking

about the 'Hardkernel' ODROID-C2.

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/prdt_info.php?g_code=G145457216438

$40 (so $5 more than the RPI3) but the specs knock the RPI3 out of the

water.

Gigabit ethernet, eMMC (guess this is a addon piece you can get it's not

like the beaglebone where it's on the board - still a

big upgrade from SD cards - which it does support) IR receiver, ADC gpio

pins, 2gb ram. Also android support which is pretty cool.

Their other more expensive board ODROID-XU4 ($75) is very very nice with

a barrel power connector and 2 USB 3.0 ports. It's also a far more sane

design in regards to where connectors are.

I guess main thing the RPI has going for it is the wifi, bluetooth

and obviously the massive community support and mindshare.

Lot of choices these days that's for sure.

-jjrh

2. then email Lab at artengine.ca to send your message to the list