[Lab] More nerdy art at OAG - Robbin Deyo's Spirographs

Jason Cobill jason.cobill at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 16:22:37 EDT 2016

   There's another great show going on at OAG called "Robbin Deyo - Still
Moving", which is full of elaborate, large-scale drawings and paintings of
Spirograph spirals. One of the pieces is a 4-foot stack of paper containing
(at least part) of her attempt to draw the entire set of possible
combinations using the standard gears.
   She applies really delicate watercolours and punchy acrylics to
large-scale drawings and the results are like stained glass windows for the
Cathedral of Mathematics. :)

​
   I wonder how she's cutting the large-scale gears for her work, because I
don't recall Spirograph releasing an 8-foot wide gear. :) Might be a CNC
job, or a laser cutter with a really big bed. Or she might be tracing
projections? Or even hand-cutting?
   They're really big!

​
   The pieces are really beautiful and cool, but spirals are such a rich
subject in science and math that I can't shake the feeling that we need to
pair Robbin Deyo (an entire army of Robbin Deyos) up with some math/physics
nerds who are really into Hypocycloids. From seashells to drainpipes,
decaying planetary orbits and even the path of photons - spirals
everywhere! So much to explore!
   I'd love to see her process applied to really large n-body gravity sim.
:) Or the spiral traces of subatomic particles. Break her out of her
regular tessellating patterns with a bit of chaos and see what colours
schemes she dreams up.

*(This is a gravity sim with 64 planetary bodies - Spirals! I love the
braided binary orbits.)*
​
   Another show worth checking out!

   -Jason Cobill