[Lab] seeking suggestions for robotics project

Olaf Baumann olabau at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:16:47 EDT 2015

Hello lab,

I'm looking for suggestions for a robotics project that my 13 year old son
and I can take on this summer.

My goals are to have him:
- keep his brain in gear over the summer break
- develop a maker mentality
- hit the ground running when joins Glebe's First Robotics team in grade 9
- spend quality father-son time with me

I've got a bunch of Arduino and pi hardware but not much for the mechanical
aspect. (chassis, motors, sensors).  He's learning python and has already
done some Arduino programming.

I'm hoping for a kit and book or online resource that will take us through
the whole build process that ends with a robot that can be enhanced later
with more interesting capabilities.  I've seen some impressive kits that
sell for $1000 but I'd like to keep the budget to around $200.

--
Olaf