[Lab] Firepit Project / Metal CNC?

Darcy Whyte darcy at inventorartist.com
Mon Aug 17 11:46:49 EDT 2015

If you want to cut metal, perhaps plasma and water jet 'n stuff is a good
way to go. I bet lots of the local machine shops have them.

I'm a big fan of hardboard since it's so inexpensive and is easy to cut.
You can get shinny finishes from polycrylic (minwax) with a bit of layers
and sanding 'n stuff. But for heat, that's a different game... but are we
talking about a real firepit? Or a load of LEDs? These LEDs look pretty
flamy, don't you think? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76Fi7bXB8OM

I noticed Jason mentioned Zeotrope in this thread. There's another effect
called moire. It's also easy to make and can work with rotating parts.

The Modlab crowd is been known to be at atomic rooster later on the
Wednesdays so there's another way to access the group. There's also the
arduino meetup group on the Sundays (hack613) to meet people with knowledge
about making stuff. Is also some of the people that have attended modlab
for years...

One thing that came to mind is to make the parts flat that can be fastened
into a drum. So they'd all be the same and could probably be cut on a band
saw. To form like a stop sign shaped drum.

I wonder if the light source or fire could be stationary and you only
rotate the drum. So it's a rotating thing above a firepit... either way, is
this thing going to be driven by convection or motors?

--
Darcy Whyte

Art+ inventorArtist.com <http://inventorartist.com/> | Aviation
rubber-power.com
Contact: darcy at inventorArtist.com | 613-563-3634 by appointment (no text)