[Lab] Makerspace Wish List

Michael Scott michael.scott at ocsb.ca
Tue Apr 28 12:19:54 EDT 2015

Ya might want some sheet metal tools, like a brake, shears, roller, English
wheel, planishing hammer, embosser, shot peen bag and hammers, and for
other metals, welders (as mentioned), Oxy-acetylene torches, plasma cutter
(CNC plasma cutter, drool), cut off saw, horizontal band saw, mill, lathe,
tube bender.

Michael

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 11:53 AM, Ray Gould <raygould at hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> From: jason.cobill at gmail.com
> To: lab at artengine.ca
> Subject: Re: [Lab] Makerspace Wish List
>

>    I think your list is super interesting - it looks primarily focused on
> working with plastics and electronics, which seem to be staples of the
> Maker Movement.
>    My dream Maker shop has some overlap with yours, (3D Printer,
> electronics bench, etc) and a whole ton of "traditional" tools for working
> with different materials. (I mostly hate plastic)
>    The problem with my dream list is that it doesn't make sense to have
> every tool for every medium (unless you're crazy rich) - I think it makes
> sense to pick and choose your mediums based on the kind of projects you
> want to build. I can't 3D Print furniture.... yet. :)
>    Hopefully the Ottawa Tool Library will somewhat address the
> impossibility of having every tool for every purpose. :)
>
>    When I think about "can I make something" the materials I first go-to
> are:
>
>    *Wood:*
>    Table saw / Power saw
>    Router / Router Table
>    Jointer
>    Drill Press / Power drill
>    Biscuit Cutter / Doweller
>    Jigsaw / Bandsaw
>    Hammer
>    Chisel / Mallets
>    Sanding bench / Grinder / Shaper / Sanders / Files
>    Lathe
>    Rulers, protractors, gauges, calipers
>
>    *And cloth:*
>    Sewing machine
>    Serger
>    Cutting table
>    Embroidery equipment
>    Cards, Spindles, Spinning Wheel
>    Loom
>
>    *And glass:*
>    Blowtorch / Burner
>    Tongs, poles, pliers
>    Kiln/Oven
>
>   * And clay:*
>    Throwing Wheel
>    Kiln/Oven
>    Wire cutter / Blades / Rakes / Sculpting tools
>
>    *And PVC pipe:*
>    Hacksaw
>    Pipe cement
>    Heat gun
>
>  *  And metal:*
>    Metal saw
>    TIG/Arc welder
>    Tap & Dies
>    Tin Snips
>    Carbide drill bits
>    Grinding/Polishing wheels
>

> On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Stephen Burke <steve at envirolaser.com>
> wrote:
>
>   Good morning,
>
> I am putting together a wish list of equipment that would typically be
> used in a Makerspace.
>
> Here’s my list so far, feel free to add to it.
>
>    Arduino Raspberry Pi Soldering Station Multimeter Oscilloscope
>  Sewing machine Hot glue gun Scan and Cut Foam cutter Plastic former
>  3D printer 3D scanner Laser cutter
>  Drill press Rotary tool Shapeoko 3 CNC Handybot

Michael A. Scott
Dept Head of Technological Education and Computer Studies
St. Francis Xavier High School
3740 Spratt Road
Gloucester, ON
K1V 2M1
Phone:     613-822-7900
Cell/Text:  613-407-9013
Fax:         613-822-0214
michael.scott at ocsb.ca
photowagon at gmail.com
http://photowagon.ca
Facebook: ThePhotowagon
Twitter: ThePhotowagon
********************************

--
*ocsb.ca
<http://ocsb.ca/?utm_source=ocsbstaff&utm_medium=email_footer&utm_campaign=awareness>*
 | *Inspired education. Inspiring students.*

Think "green," please consider the environment before printing this email.

*Confidentiality and privacy notice: This email, including any attachments,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you received this email
and are not the intended recipient, please inform the sender by email reply
and destroy all copies of the original message. This email and any
emails sent to or from the Ottawa Catholic School Board may be
transmitted or stored outside of Canada. *