[Lab] Makerspace Wish List

Ray Gould raygould at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 28 11:53:59 EDT 2015

Hi All
I like the additions Jason.  Here's my take on it:
Think of tools that are hard to move like the tablesaw.  The hand tools are more easily borrowed and transportable.  Regarding the original list, I would add tools for 3D scanning.  This would include kinects and other cameras with stands and software to interpret the data.  I currently use the free versions of NI Mate and Skannect although there are lot's of others.  If someone could pay for the full versions and rent time until they get their money back, or split the cost up front amongst members we would have a pretty kickass system.  The models aren't usually perfect after the scan.  The models will need finessing in a 3D modeling program but I find open source/free Blender works fine.  But compared to modelling say, your own head from scratch, this workflow is a lot easier.  Plus you can use the kinect to capture live animations and record them in Blender. (Check out the video tutorials on the NI Mate site).  All the other stuff sounds bang on to me Steve.
Cheers, Ray.