[Lab] Arduino GSM GPRS Sheild for $5 aliexpress

Justin Hornosty jjrh70 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 09:24:48 EST 2014

jslei033 at uottawa.ca writes:

> That does look like a steal, but it would restrict you to Robellus... Not
> sure how I feel about that anymore.

Yeah didn't even think of that. I forgot quadband didn't include 2100.

Still it's not too bad if you can pickup a prepaid sim. Sadly everything
I see - while you can do prepaid - it's a monthly cost and not a small
fee for keeping the DID active.

Cheapest I found was $15 a month for unlimited texting (which isn't
horrible if it's just a short term weather balloon type
project/experiment)

> What would you use this for? I'm assuming the GPS usage is via 3G/cellular?

Anything where you want to communicate over GSM. So for example one
usage might be a system to unlock your front door with a text
message. Or a data logger in a weather balloon or remote sensor where
wifi isn't realistic.

There would actually be some really interesting things if you can do MMS
- like a remote camera system for time lapses.