[Lab] "listening" to high volume using an electret microphone

dave at huntgang.com dave at huntgang.com
Tue May 6 16:34:14 EDT 2014

Thinking outside the box (or microphone in this case) what about
attenuating the sound before it gets to the microphone? ie using
something like insulation around the microphone to reduce the sound
level? Could be a very simple solution, not sure what type of accuracy
you are looking for.

12:45 PM, Richard Sloan wrote:

>> pot on output will just limit the
now clipped signal, need to adjust the gain of the amp itself, so the
output never clips.....

> I kind of wonder what the electret
microphone can handle. Did see the
> datasheet but don't know how to
convert 85dB sound pressure (or whatever
> you expect to get) to
something on the datasheet but it must be a max
> somewhere. If you hit
that max it doesn't matter what you do at opamp
> level, it's already
clipped before it hits it.

> /ps
>
>> On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 10:13
AM, Justin Slootsky <justin at slootsky.org <mailto:justin at slootsky.org>>
wrote: Yes, at the 40db setting, it still drives too high. Maybe I
should just put a pot on the output and see how that goes.
*From: *"greg atcheson" <greg.atcheson at gmail.com
<mailto:greg.atcheson at gmail.com>> *To: *"Justin Slootsky"
<justin at slootsky.org <mailto:justin at slootsky.org>> *Cc: *"lab"
<lab at artengine.ca <mailto:lab at artengine.ca>> *Sent: *Tuesday, May 6,
2014 9:46:27 AM *Subject: *Re: [Lab] "listening" to high volume using an
electret microphone Have you tried using the other lower-gain setting
jumpers mentioned in the link? If it was a standard opamp I'd say put a
potentiometer in for the gain and you can adjust it. On May 6, 2014 8:10
AM, "Justin" <justin at slootsky.org <mailto:justin at slootsky.org>> wrote:
I'm working on a "light organ" type project, and I tried this
http://adafru.it/1713 [1] and it worked great until I got to high home
stereo volume, then everything was maxed out. Since my target
environment is an indoor concert venue, I need to use something with
less amplification. I have a bare electret microphone, but I'm having
trouble finding information on how to use it in a high volume
environment. Does anyone have any links or suggestions?

SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v2.0.22 (GNU/Linux)
> Comment: Using
GnuPG with Thunderbird - http://www.enigmail.net/ [3]

iQIVAwUBU2lE/iRVDohC3d3dAQrYBA//afSm99ghcX5kr+E2wfkZY6/lPH0Y/hmJ

BTFXZkGrZQWFs64pMp/NvQ20HyT9OWgV6I8u04Opvt2XSJ0t3cNGovvCW6IWz5X4

7+30+lDUMjzVqSneCUEPeLHnMTGf3vOdsXTG7GwfKxltgdrKtYUIUvtAEKnRjoa6

T1eLoJW/vKXs28vLJrHrb5IfAfT2Fa/sbX834rdJkpeD7pMQ1RHpnGdpuxujvLXd

LpC49hLCrSdWaNJ5EZ6mHP8YrPgUCv7aYsvxJF+Xe9EwoKK1cCTnYOSwWrPtaJx6

c+K1v3hpsmQI10Fog1hn1sYMDBzaxZLQ9VU0A9EcKMEd3Xu0Ax7ur7SkBYz6AV1g

V7ViZv3Kd+puNJSBmDt7GKsLYvbQz5CIMY7FJRjcOZEDbBUINOkRCVvGb+vieh7z

thG9wghxq1WM6TwEKmn106oHaKz4Ol1fqewaL5V5Cd6Cmi42fUZ2/VYNuljTBpky

e0H075rRFHJx63GNjyB3tp0JxGDJfv2l521N7VpT+Q45zwK+vsxGFdHANcFPyJS6

JKckubXRNQL29wTWKXVPCL7UlvGIVLlu7TxRKITTciQuT4lnB6coONn770gw8XSS

RnD5hYb6NFZAK0ybGCDLBC4gmxeKGAiZPbenljo+57yoXWK8nUt/B+vR9QQmmhkh

N4NqzUrGLds=
> =zeEE
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

> 2. then email