[Lab] CNC parts?

Joseph Michael Sleiman jslei033 at uottawa.ca
Sun May 4 17:07:43 EDT 2014

Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a CNC variant with some friends (we're not ready to
announce what it does, but it shouldn't cause too much feedback/pushback on
the system like drilling would). However, we're stumped on suppliers for
belts and pulleys, leadscrews and nuts, bearings to connect the motor to
the screw, and even motors, from shops that are based in Canada and
Ottawa/Ontario if possible.

Any suggestions?

We're also looking to weight our options for belt vs rod drive; so far it
seems like rod is more expensive and a bit more power-hungry, but would we
be able to do a rod-drive with NEMA-17 motors or would we need NEMA-23?
There's not going to be too much kickback/feedback on the system, but we'd
like something that is low maintenance and can work really well on a
18"x24" bed (which is why we considered threaded rods).

If anyone also has suggestions for where to find plain metal rods,
controllers, and other bits and pieces for CNCs, that would also be
appreciated. We've been looking at ShapeOko, but I feel like some parts are
overkill.

Thanks,
Joseph