[Lab] Shave a Maker

Britta Evans-Fenton technical at artengine.ca
Tue Jul 29 17:31:14 EDT 2014

Justin:
 I can actually answer that one in brief, it is usually not the cancer
society that you are donating hair to directly. I donated to Pantene who's
requirements were:

   - At least 8 inches long (no maximum length)
    - If you have wavy or curly hair, measure when straight
   - Free of permanent colour, bleach or other chemical treatments such as
   Japanese straightening
    - Vegetable dyes, semi-permanent dyes and rinses are acceptable, but
   “virgin” hair is preferred
   - No more than 5% gray

There is also A Child's Voice Foundation that requires:

   - The minimal hair donation length is *12 inches* measured tip to tip;
   - Hair can be placed in a *braid* or *ponytail*;
   - Tightly *secure* the braid or ponytail using rubber bands or hair
   elastics;
   - *No permed, bleached, dyed, or treated hair is acceptable*;
   - Cut *above* the rubber band or hair elastic, not below;
   - Slightly *grey hair* is acceptable.
   - Please ensure hair is *fully dry* when cut. Wet hair cannot be used.
   - Hair cut years ago is usable if it has been stored in a ponytail or
   braid;
   - Curly hair may be pulled straight to measure the minimum 12 inches;
   - Hair swept off the floor is not useable;
   - Hair that is shaved off and is not in a ponytail or braid is not
   usable. Please divide your hair into multiple ponytails and cut each one
   off before continuing to shave; and
   - Dreadlocks, wigs, falls, hair extensions, or synthetic hair is *not*
    acceptable.

I know there is a few more places but generally 8 inches is a good rule of
thumb.

Britta
*Technical Coordinator *
Artengine.ca