[Lab] Voltage Regulators

Ken McKinnon klmckinnon at rogers.com
Sat Jan 25 12:44:24 EST 2014

Try this link:

http://www.site.uottawa.ca/~rabielmo/electronicStores.html

Reset Electronics used to have some good stuff, but I thought it went
out of business, possibly resurected...anyone?

There really is not much here in the city for bits like what your
looking for (that I am aware of)  I tend to use Digikey, but the
shipping fees for a one off part will be prohibitively expensive.
Switchers tend to have a few external components which increases the
complexity.

A linear regulator has to shed the difference in voltage and current
(i.e. watts) in the form of heat.  The small tab heatsink of the 7805 is
not adequate to rid the heat of that kind of drop with any type of
current.  A paperclip, while an imaginitive solution, does not have
enough surface area to rid the heat.  Active does have some proper heat
sinks that will reduce the temperature, or you could attach the tab to
the case (if it is metal), it will still get warm, but it will help....

And yes, Active is pretty expensive for bits and pieces.

Ken