[Lab] sketchup experts?

Paul & Andrea Mumby themumbys at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 22:37:48 EST 2014

I've been using sketchup heavily for years. My method around this (and I
don't really ever experience this problem any more) is to use guides.

Everything in sketchup is relative to another point in space. So never use
an arbitrary point in open space, or on an open face of a surface. Always
join to an edge, or vertex (the UI will let you know by changing the cursor
image when you're "attached")

So if you use a guide from an edge, and keep the guides within the axis of
the face (sketchup allows you to drag edges of a face into a guide fairly
easily). Use additional guides for the other direction to create a guide
intersection. Then draw your points to intersections of guides, you always
know it's in the same plane as the face.

Another advantage to this method is that you can specify exact measurements
for each guide creation. I tend to do almost every individual
line/operation with guides, and have gotten very fast at whipping together
a complex design to precise dimensions.

Let me know if you need further assistance, or have other questions, I'll
be happy to help.

- Paul